Re: Editorial comments (last ones ;)

Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:

> The ToC says:
>
>    14.Style Sheets - Controlling the presentation of an HTML document
>
> Is this what we want to say? You can't "control" the presentation of
> an HTML document; style sheets are just suggestions, aren't they?
>
> Maybe better would be:
>
>    14.Style Sheets - Adding presentation hints to an HTML document

I propose "Adding style to HTML documents", which sounds like what
you mean, and it sounds good in marketing terms ;-)

> Next, there are a couple typos in /struct/text.src:
>
>     notes on line brakes</a> in the appendix.
>     notes on line brakes</a> in the appendix.
>
> should be "breaks" (2 occurrences.)

I'll fix these.

> "B.3.1 Search robots"
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Group/9712/PR-html40-971205/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.1

I'll discuss whether this section should appear in the spec with the
other editors and the WG Chair.

> "9.3.4 Preformatted text: The PRE element"
> http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Group/9712/PR-html40-971205/struct/text.html#h-9.3.4
>
> IMG is excluded from PRE:
>
>     <!ENTITY % pre.exclusion "IMG|OBJECT|BIG|SMALL|SUB|SUP">
>
> Which makes the following type of page invalid:
>
>     http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~gerald/validate/lib/
>
> (this is a directory index generated by Apache or NCSA; it must be
> in use in millions of pages on the Web.) This is a safe, reasonable
> use of IMG within PRE.
>
> I still think it's a mistake to make this type of thing invalid,
> but I've tried to get this changed a number of times in the past
> (in HTML 3.2 as well), with no luck. Maybe I should just give up?

I don't remember the reasons why IMG is excluded, but I will
research this. Since IMG is explicitly excluded, I suspect
the WG wanted it this way, but I will look into it.

>This specification is a wonderful piece of work (both the spec
>itself and the tools you created to maintain it); great job!

On behalf of all the editors, thanks for your words and actions
of support.

Ian

--
Ian Jacobs / 401 Second Ave. #19G / New York, NY 10010 USA
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814