Re: frames

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 16:47:36 -0500
To: jmkgre@essex.ac.uk, www-html-editor@w3.org
J M K Green wrote:

> The Frame element is fine, and almost, if not exactly the same as the
> aforementioned companies own version, but the frameset element is
> sorely lacking. You give the author the option to switch off spacing
> between frames with <FRAME ... FRAMEBORDER="0" MARGINWIDTH="0"
> MARGINHEIGHT="0" ...> which is okay, but both Netscape and MS 'between
> them' developed the FRAMESET attributes <FRAMESET ... FRAMEBORDER=0
> FRAMESPACING=0 BORDER=0> which switches off the grey lines between
> frames, when scrollbars would normally be.

I'm afraid HTML 4.0 will not include the FRAMESET attributes
that interest you. The primary reason is that the Working Group
has decided that issues pertaining to presentation (of
all sorts: visual, audio, etc.) should be addressed through style
sheets and not through HTML attributes.

Athough I have not tested this myself, you may
be able to control the presentation of frame borders today
with Cascading Style Sheets, Level 1 today (in NN 4, and
IE 3 and 4).

I hope this helps,

Ian