frames

From: J M K Green <jmkgre@essex.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:16:12 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Hi there,

I've just been in discussion with a tech bod at www.netmachanic.com
about frames in their HTML validator. The subject of compatibility
between the new HTML 4.0 specification and the older one provided by
Netscape and Microsoft and now used by *a lot* of people cropped up as
being of vital importance.

Basically, I tried to convert my index.htm which contains frames and a
noframes area into the HTML 4.0 specification, and NN 3 promptly
displayed nothing at all. If we are to use the new 4.0 specification,
how are we to cater for older (pre 4.0 release) browsers who's document
structure definition is, er, rather different? Surely a front page of:

Click here for pre 4.0 browsers,

or Here otherwise.

cannot be justified, or am I getting things totally wrong?

Please clarrify your position on this matter.

Regards,

James Green.