  • From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 14:34:05 -0400 ()
  • Subject: RE: WAI proposed enhancements
  • To: Scott Isaacs <scotti@microsoft.com>
  • cc: "'Dan Connolly'" <connolly@w3.org>, "'w3c-html-wg@w3.org'" <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Scott Isaacs wrote:

> Premature send...
> <SELECT name="ComOS">
>   <OPTGROUP value =washington>
>     <OPTION VALUE=vancouver>Vancouver
>   <OPTGROUP value="british columbia">
>     <option value=vancouver>Vancouver
> </SELECT>

This is invalid with respect to the Oct 24th Draft of HTML 4.0.

You need to add the end tags for OPTGROUP, and to drop the value
attribute on OPTGROUP. It would also make sense to tailor the
labels for the options and groups for viewing on both old and
new browsers, e.g.

<SELECT name="ComOS">
  <OPTGROUP label="Washington">
    <OPTION VALUE="Vancouver WA"
        label="Vancouver">Vancouver, Washington
  </OPTGROUP>
  <OPTGROUP label="British Columbia">
    <option value="Vancouver BC"
        label="Vancouver">Vancouver, British Columbia
  </OPTGROUP>
</SELECT>

People using old browsers would see the flat list:

  Vancouver, Washington
  Vancouver, British Columbia

People using new browsers would see the hierarchy:

  Washtington
     Vancouver
  British Columbia
     Vancouver

I hope you will agree that this provides a workable solution
that allows the same markup to be viewed effectively on both
old and new browsers.

Regards,

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)