HTML 4.0 and SGML ... RTFM? (was Re: XMP)

From: Rob <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:24:38 -0500
To: Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie>
CC: www-html@w3.org, www-html-editor@w3.org
On 12 Aug 1997 Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie> wrote:

> [..]
> if browser makers had ever bothered to RTFM they would have found the
> CDATA marked section which lets you do exactly what you want.
>
> I doubt anyone is going to introduce a new element for this now. But
> XML will allow you to use CDATA marked sections:
>
>    <![cdata[<h2>A heading</h2>]]>

It wasn't so much that browser makers didn't read the docs; they just
made HTML readers (buggy & incomplete ones at that), not SGML+
HTML readers.   If the specs clearly noted the use of CDATA, INCLUDE,
IGNORE etc. there'd have been support added.

Which comes to mind. These and other SGML markers should be
_explicitly_ discussed in the HTML 4.0 specification.

Rob

---
Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl (wlkngowl@unix.asb.com)
(Se habla PGP.) http://www.wusb.org/mutant/