Percentage Widths in Table Cells

From: Ralph & Paula Hightower <lynmax@netside.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 16:28:35 -0400
To: <www-html-editor@w3.org>
I wish the W3C to consider WIDTH=percentage% as part of the TH and TD
definition for HTML 4.0.

I think that specifying the number of pixels violates the principal of HTML
being "device independent".  How are HTML authors supposed to know that web
readers have their monitors set for 640x480, 800x600, 1024x800, or a WebTV
(I don't know the number of pixels for that).  I created a page
http://www.netside.com/~lynmax/Tables.html to demonstrate why I think
percentages are better than specifying hardware definitions.  With
Microsoft Internet Explorer, the TABLE WIDTH=90% tables with TD WIDTH=50%
look slightly off.  With Netscape Navigator, the percentage columns look

Please consider this for the next revision of HTML 4.0

Thank you,
	Ralph Hightower
Ralph & Paula Hightower
Chapin, SC
mailto: lynmax@netside.com
Senders of unsolicited email (MLM, pyramids, chain letters, etc.) agree to
the following terms:
1) Assessed a maintenance fee of USD$500
2) Agree to have their email address and domain owners published on