HMTL 4.0 Links and Anchors

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 13:22:01 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
The HTML 4.0 spec says (in links.html)

>Since links may point to documents written in different languages (possibly
with different writing order) and using
>different character encodings, the A and LINK elements support the lang
(language), dir (writing direction), and
>charset (character encoding) attributes. These attributes allow authors to
advise user agents about the nature of the
>data at the other end of the link.

I cannot see a definition of charset for LINK. I note that LINK has media
and type attributes that could provide similar information, but not in the
same form. Is there a reason why charset is not applicable to LINK, and
media and type are not applicable to anchors?

I also have some difficulty in explaining how the tabindex attribute can be
used to "order" anchor access, and why the same attribute cannot be applied
to links (which I would have thought would have benefited from such ordering).

Incidentally under the "String matching" subhead you have the following typo:
"bsae+diacritic"

----
Martin Bryan, 29 Oldbury Orchard, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029  E-mail: mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com
For details about The SGML Centre contact http://www.sgml.u-net.com/
For details about the Open Information Interchange initiative contact
http://www.echo.lu/oii/home.html