Popups in HTML 4.0 - are there any?

From: Heikki Vesalainen <wes@clinet.fi>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 20:50:14 -0700
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
Hi! (I hope you can read this, It is in HTML)

I was browsed trough the HTML 4.0 Draft, but for my disapointment, I
couldn't find any sign of popups in it!  What I mean with popup is a way
to display the user more information on an subject (text or picture)
when he/she focuses on the object.
(Mac OS has it's balloons as well as Microsoft Help and Netscape
navigator 4.0 have their popup message boxes)

Something like this (the word midi is focused and is both a normal link
and a popup.)

[Image]

I understand that this can be achieved with some heavy java scripting,
but I think that is not practical.

Netscape 4.0 allready shows IMG ALTs as what I call popups when you
bring your mouse over a picture.

--
Heikki T Vesalainen
wes@clinet.fi