shortref """ missing from current HTML 3.2 DTD

From: RHBNC <CHAA006@vms.rhbnc.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:50:56 +0100
To: www-html-editor@w3.org
CC: CHAA006@vms.rhbnc.ac.uk
Dear Colleague(s) --

I am becoming increasingly frustrated at having to insert "invalid HTML 3.2"
icons into an otherwise valid HTML 3.2 document simply because the &quot;
shortref has been accidentally omitted from the current HTML 3.2 DTD.
Could you please tell me why it is taking so long to rectify this omission
and when I can expect to be able to reliably validate my documents once
again?

Philip Taylor
RHBNC, University of London.