Re: normalizedString/input and string/textarea?

Hi Alain,

OK, so a few things.

First, what I said about normalized string was confusing it with XPath
normalize space, which collapses whitespace.

Second, I see your point that now, with tabbed browsers, hitting Ctrl-Tab
now switches tabs, whereas it used to insert a tab. However, I have a
browser plugin implementatoin that does still allow Ctrl-Tab to be used to
enter a tab.  Not sure it is of much value to end-users, but there has not
been a point in making a restriction to the normal behavior of the
underlying control.

Third, I still think that normalizedString would not be any different than
just string because it does not restrict tabs, returns and linefeeds from
the lexical space of the XML node.  The value space replaces tabs, returns
and linefeeds with spaces, but the lexical space allows them.

Fourth, even if there were a difference, it would then be harder to use
XForms because we set default datatypes at the data layer, and we cannot
reasonably do that based on what UI controls are bound to the data.
Suppose input had a binding restriction to normalizedString.  If we bound
it to a string, the default datatype, then an exception would occur unless
someone used a type MIP to assign normalizedString to the data node.  The
alternative would be that we'd have to make normalizedString the default,
but then a type MIP would have to be used to assign string to any node one
intended to bind to a textarea.  This would be a lot more work to obtain
restrictions that the UI controls themselves implement.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: