From: John Boyer [mailto:boyerj@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Tue 5/12/2009 5:25 PM
To: Howard, Chris
Cc: www-forms@w3.org
Subject: Re: question about embedded instance vs. ref to an xml file

Hard to tell without seeing exact content here.

If you have external data that stops working when you put it inline, then my first guess would be to ask if you are sure the namespace context set correctly?

If you have external XML, it starts with a default namespace of xmlns="" whether or not you declare it in the data.  So if you *don't* include xmlns="" in the data, then the unqualified element names take xmlns="" as the default when the data is standalone, but they will take whatever default namespace is inherited from the document when you put the content inline.

Less likely, but a possibility would be to ask whether the XML contains any leading XMLDecl content, like a DTD.  The XML grammar allows certain content at the beginning of an XML file that cannot be placed into the content of an XML element.

Hope this helps.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/JohnBoyer <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/JohnBoyer>