Re: Custom properties

From: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:07:51 -0700
To: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: www-forms@w3.org, www-forms-request@w3.org
Hi Elliotte,

Further to Mark's email, note that it is in fact now intended that XForms
can use property() to detect processor-specific functionality indicated by
a colonized name (QNameButNotNCNAME).
In the 1.1 spec, I gave two examples that could be implemented (locale and
timezone).  To be honest, I added those two specific examples in the hope
that most or all processors would add them in order to help fully test
their ability to accept a QNameButNotNCNAME.  In the long term I hope
these become required or recommended to implement as NCName keywords, but
for now we are in feature lockdown, so I'll have to take what I can get
here :-)

Still, the nod to practical reality being in advance of standardization
seemed desirable since at least an XForm can report when it doesn't have a
necessary extension, for example.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
07/09/2007 05:03 PM

www-forms@w3.org
cc

Subject
Custom properties

The XForms property XPath extension function returns the value of an
XForms property. XForms only defines two properties, version and
conformance-level.

Are individual XForms processors allowed to define their own properties
in addition to these basic two?

Do any do so, and if so what custom properties do they define?

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!