Re: Feedback on 1.1: instance src attribute broken

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:21:23 +0100
To: "John Boyer" <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Cc: www-forms@w3.org, www-forms-editor@w3.org

Hi John,

> [...]
>
> The one place it still appears is on the instance element.  Here I am going
> to argue that the semantic of src inherited from HTML is also broken for
> instance, so we either need to change it or rename the attribute so we can
> change the semantics.
>
> The problematic behavior is that the content of the instance is *overridden*
> by content obtained from a URI given by src.  The behavior should be that
> the src URI is used to obtain *default* content for the instance if it is
> empty.
>
> [...]

I also looked at this issue a while ago, but came to a different conclusion!

XHTML 2 now allows @src anywhere, and its use is that an attempt is
made to load the resource referred to, and if it fails, the content of
the element is used as a 'fallback'. This is actually the same
behaviour as for <object> with previous versions of XHTML--the new
version just generalises this to all elements.

In my view this would be reasonable behaviour for XForms' instance
element, and I think fits the situation you describe--if there is a
@src attribute use it, and if the load fails, use the inline content
of the instance. See:

  <http://skimstone.x-port.net/node/334>

for a discussion on this.