The close action seems not quite right for portal scenarios

From: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:04:15 -0800
To: www-forms@w3.org
The close action in XForms 1.1 dispatches xforms-close to the default
model.

The expected behavior is for the owning document to close down, which may
also close the user agent.

Somehow, it seems that we need to let the user agent be a little more
intelligent about the decision to close down.

The problem is that if I deliver multiple portlets, each containing an
XForm, and one of them invokes 'close', it seems like XHTML+XForms forms
will have the problem that the whole portal will shut down, not just the
portlet containing the one XForm that invoked the close.

Assuming that one of the most important reasons for allowing multi-model
forms is to support the portlet scenario (one HTML document, multiple
portlets with any one or several containing an XForm), then it seems like
we really want 'close' to indicate a model, and we will close that model.
If the nearest logical container contains no more XForms models, then it
may decide to close down.

Comments?

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Workplace Forms Architect and Researcher
Co-Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/