RE: Select with open selection

 Leigh,

    my comments between lines

  _____

De: Klotz, Leigh [mailto:Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com]
Enviado el: jueves, 29 de junio de 2006 22:11
Para: Rafael Benito; www-forms@w3.org
Asunto: RE: Select with open selection

Rafael,

With open selections, XForms doesn't define a way to associate a label with
the values.

--------------------------------------

This is just what I see it is a problem. Why you have labels for enumerated
values and you do not have them for open selections?

-------------------------------------
In  <http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/slice8.html#ui-selectMany>
http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/slice8.html#ui-selectMany it says
"The form control should then allow free data entry, as described in
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/slice8.html#ui-input> 8.1.2 The input Element.
The form control may permit multiple values to be entered through free
entry."
I believe free data entry means entering the value directly, and if the
my:flavors is an xf:listItems type, then you can enter a space-separated
list of values into the typein area directly.

--------------------------------------

I do not think having the user enter white separated values is a very
elegant solution. The user DOES NOT HAVE to be aware of what a list is in
Xforms.

---------------------------------------

Your example seems targeted towards allowing the user to enter data into a
shadow-DOM copy of the choices/items for the select, and associating that
with an specific label.
Certainly you can present the select control with a typein area, and that
typein area would have a text node of some sort associated with it in the
display DOM, but that is an implementation detail and shouldn't be part of
the form markup.  This is what "combo-boxes" do.

I was pointing out that for many use cases, the "Google Suggest" or
"Delicious Tags" type presentation is more useful, and its semantics can be
captured with open selection and itemset.

Leigh.

These are presentation issues that seems to me irrelevant to the point I
raised. Let me say that having a select with two open selection was a real
situation in a project we had. If we had not been able to label differently
both open selection we would have had problems.

Rafael