Re: empty instance generates link exception?

From: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 20:54:19 -0800
To: Aaron Reed <aaronr@us.ibm.com>
Cc: www-forms@w3.org, www-forms-request@w3.org
We also generate a link exception in Workplace Forms.  It's been agreed
this is the only available exception in 1.0 and that we would define a
exception in 1.1 (because an instance must contain a well-formed XML
and empty document doesn't satisfy that)

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Product Architect/Research Scientist
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com  http://www.ibm.com/software/

Aaron Reed <aaronr@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
01/04/2006 04:49 PM

empty instance generates link exception?

I just want to verify that an empty instance element should generate a
xforms-link-exception, right?

For example,

   <xforms:instance id="myInstance"/>

My reading of the spec leads me to think so since the instance document
can't be well-formed without a root element which should generate a
xforms-link-exception.  The different processors seem to behave
inconsitently with my testcase.  Novell gives the warning.  X-Smiles has
their own processor error and formsPlayer and Mozilla just let it
proceed as normal.

Please let me know what the proper behavior should be.