Re: [ANN] Tutorial: Searching Flickr with XForms

Mark Birbeck wrote:

> PS What did you mean about converting from HTML to XHTML? It already was, so
> I'm assuming I'm missing something.

Oh, right, I completely missed your template here:

   http://skimstone.x-port.net/index.php?q=node/63

I assumed in the rest of the tutorial that the code was plain HTML. My
mistake.

> PPS You got heaps of bonus points for doing this, but you lose some of them
> for using tables ;)

Right, and you just made me feel really ashamed of myself ;-) So I just
spent about 30 minutes trying to make this work with nice CSS. With
Firefox, beautiful result. With IE: no avail, and the hair I pulled from
my head is now littering the floor. This is probably why I didn't try in
the first place - some old memory of trying to make CSS do useful things
with IE ;-)

IE doesn't support display: table, etc., and even IE 7 beta 2 preview
doesn't support that, and IE 7 final may not support it (nobody knows):

Amazing.

This makes it difficult for example to place labels on two rows so that
they have the same width (you have to use a CSS "width" attribute, when
the layout engine should do this itself). Also, the slider ends up being
an HTML <div>, and I want to place it to the right of the <label>. I can
place the label on the left with "float: left", but then I have issues
with vertical alignment.

As sad as this is, it appears that <table> still has a good life ahead :-(

-Erik