url params et al

From: Jason <jeacott@hardlight.com.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:16:17 +0930
To: www-forms@w3.org

Hi all -I think I'm going quietly mad. I have a small problem that I
haven't had to deal with via xforms before (I think) and cant seem to
see the solution - it must be easy, I'm sure of it.
I need to launch an xform with a given data id passed as an url
parameter (the url will come from an email). eg:
http://.../somexform?id=abcd

the form then needs to load data with id=abcd (or at least something
derived from it).

my question is how can I do this without dynamically modifying the xform
itself each time. I dont really want to store the id in a session
variable and have the form retrieve it on form-ready, I'd like to know
if its possible with a pure xform, or at least a nicer approach to this
one. This would be trivial if the initial request was via the xform, but
how do you preset a forms' state for startup without having the form
request the info itself?

any thoughts? I think my head must be full of cotton wool.

thanks
Jason.