Re: Reusing a form in another form

Leigh,

On 02/08/06, Klotz, Leigh <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com> wrote:
> Early on, XForms had re-usable UI components, but they were dropped with
> the idea that we would eventually use XSLT or XInclude.
> We called the definition defcomponent and the use of it component.

Yes, now you mention it I remember you telling me about this. I would
see the successor of that functionality as probably being provided by
XBL.

As it happens you could implement what I've described with XBL, but it
depends on your layers of abstraction; we tend to use XBL when you
have some kind of 'stub' that can be extended, so a single control
could be turned into a control with five fields. The xf:load, XLink
and XInclude techniques are better when you really are just 'dropping'
a sub-form in place, and you are not bothered about 'hiding' that
behind an XBL.

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.