Re: AJAX vs. Xforms

Kugelman, John wrote:

> Flash provides a capability that is unavailable in HTML. You can’t do
> movies and animation in HTML. It still took years for Flash to really
> take off and get to where it is now where authors can just depend on it
> being installed, and can make web sites based on it. And even still,
> most web sites that use Flash have an equivalent non-Flash version.

And Flash availability is greatly overestimated. I think one browser out
of 5 or so on my main machine can handle Flash. None of the browsers on
my wifes' computers can. I see similar results on at least half of the
computers owned by individual adults. (Childrens' and teenagers'
computers seem more likely to have Flash.) Server side measurements of
plugin availability are highly self-selected and usually statistically
invalid.

XForms availability is close enough to nil so as not to matter.
Requiring XForms on the client is essentially requiring a custom runtime
environment for your software. It eliminates all benefits of browser
based distribution and web applications. You might as distribute a thick
client. One year this may change, but 2006 is not that year. 2007
probably isn't either.