RE: AJAX vs. Xforms

The point I think that is being missed here is that lack of early adoption (of a technology that is in its infancy - when you consider the scope of the kinds of problems it sets out to solve) is not a criticism of the technology itself.  AJAX is a scripting technique, XForms is a complete platform-agnostic framework for building user interfaces (one which subsumes the capabilities that comes with AJAX).

AJAX attempts to solve a portion of the problems XForms does using tools / APIs that are *already* ubiquitous. It's a classic apples to oranges comparison.

Chimezie
From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Kugelman, John
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 12:59 PM
To: Vincent Berger; Elliotte Harold
Cc: www-forms@w3.org
Subject: RE: AJAX vs. Xforms

People don't want to install plug-ins. Heck, I work with XForms day-in day-out and I don't want to bother installing XForms plug-ins. I think I tried installing Novell's processor once, got stymied by it not working with Windows XP SP2, and gave up. Not worth the effort involved, and I'm an XForms developer!

Flash provides a capability that is unavailable in HTML. You can't do movies and animation in HTML. It still took years for Flash to really take off and get to where it is now where authors can just depend on it being installed, and can make web sites based on it. And even still, most web sites that use Flash have an equivalent non-Flash version.

Forms, on the other hand, already exist, and can be made quite slick with some JavaScript. You don't need some external plug-in to do forms. XForms offers nothing compelling for end users that will push them to install a plug-in. Form authors are the people that benefit from XForms, not end users. Developers are supposed to absorb the burdens imposed by new technologies, not users!

XForms needs to be completely invisible to end-users, or it will be too annoying to ever take off.

Confidentiality Note:  This message is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error,  please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.  Thank you.
Visit us online at our award-winning http://www.clevelandclinic.org for a complete listing of Cleveland Clinic services, staff and locations from one of the country's leading hospitals.