RE: AJAX vs. Xforms

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 21:31 +0100, Mark Birbeck wrote:
> Well...I don't think there is a hard and fast rule here. Trying to add a
> customer that already exists could be a read as a client error (they
> shouldn't do it) or a server error (we won't let you do it). But either way,
> 5xx errors (at least at the SOAP level) are *not* just about the server
> going down for maintenance...and how could it tell anyone? ;)

The client has made the error in trying to add a customer that already
exists. The server is not erring in not letting you add the customer; it
is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Therefore 4xx is correct.

Going down for maintenance (503) was just an example.

> Anyway, the main point is it is currently defined, XForms would ignore the
> XML returned in the SOAP message for any error returned, *including* 4xx
> ones. Obviously a big problem, since SOAP over HTTP defines that an XML
> payload will be present for nearly all return codes.

That is obviously a big problem, but SOAP has its own inherent problems:

http://www.eekim.com/distcomp/dialogmaps/soapproblems.html

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
General Manager

e: jasper@album.co.nz
w: http://www.album.co.nz/
p: 0800 4 ALBUM (0800 425 286) or +64 21 232 3303
a: PO Box 579, Christchurch 8015, New Zealand