Re: AJAX vs. Xforms

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> Jasper,
>
> Well...I don't think there is a hard and fast rule here. Trying to add a
> customer that already exists could be a read as a client error (they
> shouldn't do it) or a server error (we won't let you do it). But either way,
> 5xx errors (at least at the SOAP level) are *not* just about the server
> going down for maintenance...and how could it tell anyone? ;)
>
> Anyway, the main point is it is currently defined, XForms would ignore the
> XML returned in the SOAP message for any error returned, *including* 4xx
> ones. Obviously a big problem, since SOAP over HTTP defines that an XML
> payload will be present for nearly all return codes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Hey Mark,

I understand what you are saying, but I don't see it actually happening.
  If I do a submission to http://xformstest.org/cgi-bin/echo.shaka, then
with Novell's IE plugin and formsPlayer, I don't get the
xforms-submit-error and I do see the normal HTML 404 error page.  Is
this a bug?  I do see the value of showing the user the error message
from the server, but I also see the value of not replacing anything in
the document as per spec.  Here is the testcase that I tried:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
xmlns:ev="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events"
xmlns:xforms="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms" xml:lang="en">
   <head>
     <title>Submit to invalid site</title>
     <xforms:model id="m1">
       <xforms:instance xmlns="">
         <root>
           <data>Data</data>

         </root>
       </xforms:instance>
       <xforms:submission id="sub-empty" method="post"
action="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/cgi-bin/echo.shaka">
         <xforms:message level="modal"
ev:event="xforms-submit-error">xforms-submit-error</xforms:message>
       </xforms:submission>
     </xforms:model>
   </head>

     <h2>Click on the submit button.  Should see a popup for
xforms-submit-error</h2>
       <xforms:submit submission="sub-empty">
         <xforms:label>Submit to bad location</xforms:label>
       </xforms:submit>