Re: Button with an image.

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 20:18:03 +0100
To: "Goodrich, Christopher Michael" <cmgoodr@sandia.gov>
CC: www-forms@w3.org

Goodrich, Christopher Michael wrote:
> I was referring to the inclusion of HTML in Xforms, not the inclusion
> of Xforms in HTML.  That inclusion implies that there should be some
> standard for forming the tag that has been included.  My assumption
> would be that including any tag that derived it's base from HTML
> would have to conform to an XHMTL standard since both are under the
> general umbrella of XML.

Oh ok. Sure. You still can't validate it though, without some profile
that defines it.

> Absolutely, however, we again run into the question of which standard
> to use.  HTML is so loose that the inclusion of an ALT attribute is
> not necessary to display properly, and only by social acceptance does
> it ever get included.

But the HTML standard does require it, since HTML 2.0. Actually, HTML
4.01 is almost exactly equivalent to XHTML 1.0 with regard to semantics.

> XHTML on the other hand requires the ALT attribute to be present in
> order to conform to the standard and be validated as proper code.
> So, I believe that this application of the button needs to be
> properly formed in XHMLT to be validated and that is why he's getting
>  the error about validation.

You can't just mix elements from different namespaces and get the
document to validate. I'm not sure if I followed everything correctly
what has been discussed, but if it really is about validation you would
need to define that xforms:label allows xhtml:img in some DTD or schema.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>