Re: Is or isn't scripting needed, was RE: XForms vs. Web Forms

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:11:31 -0800
To: www-forms@w3.org
On Wednesday 2005-03-16 16:58 -0800, John Boyer wrote:
> While 'ignore what you do not understand' allows the pre-forms web
> markup
> to fail gracefully, it is a common misconception that this idea can
> transfer
> to the forms space.
>
> It can't.

If you look at the design of the features in the WF2 spec, I think it's
pretty clear that it can.  They're designed so that the client can
handle the feature if it understands it, and other the server can do the
equivalent.  Handling things like required fields or repetition on the
client provides a better user experience, and handling them on the
server is in many cases required for security anyway.

-David

          Technical Lead, Layout & CSS, The Mozilla Foundation