binding a simple derived type

From: Andy Harrison <andyh@agaricus.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:19:22 +0000
To: www-forms@w3.org

Hi,

I'm trying to get my head around datatypes in XForms (and XForms in
general). I'd like to be able to specify simple types in a WYSIWG type
form creation tool. If my little tool allows someone to restict the
"maxlength" of a text field (or max value of a numeric or something) I
read that one way to do this is via XML Schema simple type base (e.g
string) and applying xsd:restriction (facets).

There are a few examples out there where an xsd file is referenced from
the xforms:model with this kind of arrangement. The examples I have seen
always have an "xsd:element" that binds the new type to an element in
the instance data.

My question is... can I discard the xsd:element definition in favour of
an XForms model binding? Sorry if some of my terminology isn't a concise
as it might be. I've tried to create a little snippet to covey what I
mean...

thanks
andy

<!-- model snippet -->
<model xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms" schema="myschema.xsd">
<instance id="blah">
   <!-- some random piece of instance data -->
   <stuff xmlns="">
     <tag>Hello World</tag>
     <othertag />
   </stuff>
</instance>
<bind ref="tag" id="tagbind" type="xsd:string" />
<bind ref="othertag" id="othertagbind" type="xsd:mysimpletype" />
</model>

<!-- myschema.xsd -->
targetNamespace="" elementFormDefault="qualified">
   <xsd:simpleType name="mysimpletype">
     <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
       <xsd:enumeration value="bar" />
       <xsd:enumeration value="foo" />