RE: XForms on Mobile Devices

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:20:18 +0100
To: <avernet@orbeon.com>
Cc: <www-forms@w3.org>

Hi Alex,

> XForms already provides a number of benefits compared to HTML
> 4 forms on browsers, but would be even more valuable on
> mobile devices (for instance:
> less round-trips with the server, lesser need for JavaScript,
> device independence).

Definitely.

> Despite the benefits, XForms on mobile
> devices seems to be an emerging technology at best, with so
> far only two major initiatives I am aware of, from IBM and
> Oracle (see below).

Fair enough...although I think it could take off quickly.

> Are there other initiatives I am not aware of?

I can only speak for x-port, and we are working on porting
formsPlayer/Sidewinder to a number of mobile/embedded platforms. We've
always believed that XForms' future is in making applications easy to build
and deploy, and we believe it has a healthy future in anything from mobile
phones to ATMs, to set-top boxes. So we are trying to move forward on a
number of platforms.

> More generally, what is the state of XForms on mobile devices?

I think you will see rapid movement in this area, partly due to the points
you make, about it being easier to build applications, and partly as a
consequence of XForms on the desktop gaining momentum, which pushes the
XForms story more generally.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck