From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Gerald Bauer
Sent: 24 June 2004 00:23
To: www-forms@w3.org
Subject: Sun Says No to XForms For Java Desktop Initiative

Hello,

  Amy Fowler (Sun) explains in the Java Desktop
Network Components (JDNC)whitepaper why W3C's XForms
was ignored.

   Amy writes:

  What about XForms? When we implemented JDNC's basic
form functionality, we looked at leveraging the XForms
specification. While XForms is a well-designed
specification that solves the numerous deficiencies in
HTML forms, we were not convinced it would provide the
ease-of-development and short learning curve we were
after. Additionally, implementing XForms is a
significant task which did not fit into our target
schedule for going open source. That said, we intend
to revisit this topic and are open to the opinions of
the development community, as we know lots of brain
power went into that spec.

   Source:
https://jdnc.dev.java.net/documentation/overview.html

    What's your take on it? Do you agree with Amy that
XForms is too bloated?

   - Gerald

Gerald Bauer

XUL Alliance        | http://xul.sourceforge.net