RE: A note on <bind /> (similar to <group />)

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:45:02 -0000
To: "'Klotz, Leigh'" <Leigh.Klotz@pahv.xerox.com>
Cc: <www-forms@w3c.org>

Hello Leigh,

> Just as <group /> can be used as a container, so can <bind />.
>
> I believe that <bind /> is legal and useful, just like <group />,
> and want to make sure that implementations aren't tripped up on the
> base case.

This is actually how formsPlayer works; everything that could take a
binding attribute (@model/@ref/@nodeset/@bind) will use the current
context if none is present.

So this:

    <bind readonly="true()" />

would set the root node of the first instance in the current model to
read only.

As a result of this, I have often thought we should drop the fact that
submission/@ref explicitly defaults to "/", since that is already
implied by these same rules for context. The following would still use
the root node of the first instance, even if we removed this explicit
default:

    <model>
      <submission action="http://..." method="post" />
    </model>

Of course, much more controversial would be to continue the consistency,
and allow @ref to be optional on form controls!:

    <input>
        <label ref="." /
    </input>