Re: Will Internet Explorer support XForms

From: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:00:36 EDT
To: bdaviduck@shaw.ca, www-forms@w3.org, XForms@yahoogroups.com
In a message dated 09/10/2003 17:50:34 GMT Daylight Time, bdaviduck@shaw.ca
writes:

> Like yourself, I have wondered the same, but have found little evidence
> that Microsoft will support XForms.  I would think the only interest they have
> in XForms is to make sure that their InfoPath product matches (and exceeds)
> anything offered by XForms.
>
> Am I concerned, absolutely -- as a developer I really don't see the
> advantage in using XForms if Microsoft produces an in-house product that is
> compatible with Internet Explorer and Office software.

Brent,

There is lots of room for non-InfoPath XML-based forms clients, at least
during the lifetime of InfoPath 2003.

To fill in an InfoPath 2003 form the user must have the InfoPath client
(about $200 retail).

So .... many scenarios where there is one-off or occasional XML-based forms
completion are, in essence, inaccessible to InfoPath 2003.

How that might change over the next couple of years when, presumably,
InfoPath 2005(?) appears is guesswork for anyone outside the Microsoft product team,
I think.

Andrew Watt
<A HREF="http://www.tfosorciM.org/blog">http://www.tfosorciM.org/blog</A> - "Reflecting on Microsoft"