Semantics of select1

From: Subramanian Peruvemba \(PV\) <subramanian.peruvemba@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:28:13 -0800
To: <www-forms@w3.org>

Is the semantics of select1
   "Select 0 or 1"
    or
   "Select exactly 1"

The spec says

"For closed selections: If the initial instance value matches the
storage value of one of the given items, that item is selected. If
there
is no match, the first item is initially selected."

Automatically selecting the first item seems a little bit odd here.
This
suggests to me that I can make a instance item required with the UI
control (and not necessarily using the model item properties).

I think this was a mistake in HTML forms, that has been carried
forward.
The UI control should never force a selection and it is perfectly
valid
to have "None of the Items" selected. Unless  it is required, but even
then the processor or the UI control should not make the selection for
the author or for the user (when one is not explicitly stated or
intended).

Regards