RE: Question

From: Dan G. Switzer, II <dswitzer@oar.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:30:19 -0500
To: <www-forms@w3.org>

> Hmm, not sure why we don't think this can be done with JavaScript.  We
> have a server-side transformer that converts XForms into HTML and
> JavaScript.

A lot of the functionality can be done, however there are a few issues with
browsers and the way they render form elements which could cause problems
(for example, select boxes always appearing above any form element.) Can you
work around some of the issues, yes, but the workarounds are not always
elegant.

[cut]

> I understand and agree with not wanting to run a server for just creating
> content.  This can be solved by creating the content in notepad, running
> an application on it, then loading the result into a browser.  Or, use a
> plug-in for development and a server-side solution for deployment.

I've done a lot of work w/qForms (which has been out for about 24 months)
and you could almost just use an XSL sheet to transform an Xforms doc into
valid HTML/JS that would work in NS3+. Some of the event driven stuff needs
work, but qForms v2 (which is in development) has much better custom event
handlers.

-Dan