Re: XML Schema as a basis to form construction / documents instantiat ion

Hi,

Sonds like a very interesting idea indeed.
There seem to be some solutions already running as listed on the W3C
Schema page (http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema).

http://80.254.166.28/jaxfront/ (this one is realy nice demo)
http://www.multicentric.com

Best regards,

Kai Richter

Mark Barratt wrote:

> Franco, Alexandre wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm starting to learn XForms, but I have an idea that some of you may
>> already have worked on: I would like to use XML Schema as a basis for web
>> forms construction. It's not the same as XForms, in fact it's much
>> simpler:
>>            XML Schema  --->> Form Processor + User Input --->> XML
>> Document
>> Instance
>>
>> I would like to know your opinions about this work, have anyone built
>> something like this? Is it feasible?
>>

> Sounds good, but may have problems in practice.
>
> We're working on a series of large, complex (existing) application forms
> which need to be available in HTML and the results fed into a workflow
> system.
>
> There are three key players here: the workflow system developers, the
> business process owners, and the form-design people. Each group has
> different, legitimate, interests in creating something that is
> straightforward for their own systems and their own 'customers' within
> and without the business. We have found that attempting to create a
> common schema that can self-create a form to be an elegant theory but
> not realistic.
>
> We have found that Xforms' decoupling of the user-interface from the
> data schema to be an extremely useful thing. We are writing the form/UI
> in XML (actually, a format which outputs to XML) to a UI-aligned schema
> and mapping the result to the workflow data schema. The output of that
> is Xforms, and the Xform is the source, in turn, of the HTML which the
> user sees.
>
> I don't know if this is the 'right' way to approach the task, but it
> seems to be working for us. I'd be happy to hear about other approaches...

  Dipl.-Psych. Kai Richter
  ZGDV e.V., Dept. E-Business & Information Visualization
  Fraunhoferstr. 5,  64283 Darmstadt,  Germany
  phone: +49 (0) 6151 155609, mobile: +49 (0) 173 3254192

Download the EMBASSI-platform: http://www.embassi.de/open_embassi