The Devil of Good is Perfect

A lot of things have been written lately. Here's a bit of my digest:

:-)

Andrew Watt [1]:
"How do you see XForms in relation to Microsoft's InfoPath?"

I don't know, I've never seen the beta, they didn't invite me
to their beta group. I've therefore decided to not
invite them to our beta group.

I wrote [2]:
>> The forum and beta membership is limited, we can't
>> let everyone in.
Gerald Bauer [2]:
>  Well, that just underscores my point.

Right. ,-)

Gerald Bauer [3]:
>   * Markup bloat; don't overdo tags; allow attribute
> shortcuts

"One man's constant is another one's variable"

While Gerald Bauer thinks whether putting semantics
into attributes or as element contents is a variable,
Humans who do not have the luxury of being able to
see with their eyes would suddenly not be able to
communicate with their government or grocery store
in the future.

In [4] Gerald Bauer proposes:

<trigger>
  <label>Touch Me</label>
</trigger>

vs.

<trigger label="Touch Me" />

We'll most happily trade the seven-year-old school girl [5]
not doing XForms against making labels inaccessible. :-)

Talking about accessibility, in [5] Gerald Bauer writes:
> I guess that says it all about IBM's approach. Guess
> how interested are consultants in simplicity?
[...]
> If you want to make XML forms a reality, you
> need to help startups that don't come prepacked with
> massive conflict of interests.

I may point out that it was IBM who put (ie. financed) a
strong focus on accessibility in XForms 1.0, start-ups
tend to run out of cash before caring about such things .-).

Andrew Watt [6]
> Although whether the WG is in listening mode remains to be
> seen

Warmest regards,

- Sebastian (a WG member :-)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2003Apr/0029.html