Re: Welcome to the Real-World; The Future of XForms

From: Jonathan R Young <Jonathan.R.Young@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 07:58:47 +0100
To: Gerald Bauer <luxorxul@yahoo.ca>
Cc: www-forms@w3.org, www-forms-request@w3.org, xforms@yahoogroups.com
>> Um, IBM has just released an XForms prototype. And
>> Oracle has one in the pipeline too, I understand.

> Well, it's one thing to throw together a server-side
>tag lib that spits out HTML, it's another to build a
>rich browser with built-in XForms support challenging
>Internet Explorer.

Don't expect everything that IBM does to be open source straight away!
Since one of the authors of the spec is from IBM, and we have <i>in
production</i> several real world engagements (in Global Services, not
Software Group) based on the CR spec (and earlier). In my <humble>
opinion, the server side component is actually more important than having
a browser that can render an XForm natively, since the point of XML-out is
integration with other systems, which requires a server side
implementation of some of the functionality. The server components can
also transcode the XForm for what ever user-agent requires access to the
form.

The alphaworks release represents just some of the work going on in IBM to
do with XForms.

Cheers

Jonathan R. Young

IBM Global Services - IT Architect