Re: [Moderator Action] RE: 8.1.7 - range Element

Moderator: Sent to www-forms-editor@w3.org  and www-forms@w3.org
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Seaborne" <MSeaborne@origoservices.com>
To: "Jérôme Nègre" <jerome.negre@e-xmlmedia.fr>; <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>
Cc: <xforms@yahoogroups.com>; <www-forms@w3.org>; <www-forms-editor@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 4:05 PM
Subject: [Moderator Action] RE: 8.1.7 - range Element

instance must be validated first against any schema, and then against XForms
constraints.

> So if the range set by the XForms constraint falls outside the range
allowed by the schema, there will be an error, no matter how a forms engine
rendered the range. The instance must be invalid against either the Schema,
or the XForms constraint. In such circumstances surely the XForms form
should fail to initialise (not least because the form processor cannot know
how to render the range).

> Otherwise the schema constraint is applied first, and then the XForms one.
So the forms engine might as well use the restriction of the schema given by
the XForms constraint as its guide.

> I suppose there can only be an inconsistency if the XForms constraint
specifies an invalid range.

> However, what are the possibilities for having other XForms constraints
which are not valid against a specified schema? How many of these would have
no implication for how a form might be rendered? Given that an XForms author
cannot be guaranteed to have access to every schema which may be applied to
an XForms form, at what point would a form throw an exception?