Re: [Moderator Action] RE: Schema Modularisation in XForms (Was: xslt stylesheet for xforms to xhtml)

Moderator: Sent to www-forms-editor@w3.org  and www-forms@w3.org

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Seaborne" <MSeaborne@origoservices.com>
To: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>; <xforms@yahoogroups.com>; <www-forms@w3.org>;
<www-forms-editor@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 4:44 PM
Subject: [Moderator Action] RE: Schema Modularisation in XForms (Was: xslt
stylesheet for xforms to xhtml)

schema (the generic term) support in XForms,
> >rather than a "hard-wired" need for W3C XML Schema support.
>
> I can see it both ways. Sticking with W3C XML Schema (incidentally,
shouldn't the draft use the full name, rather than the ambiguous 'XML
Schema') + some extra validation facilities makes life easier for
implementers and authors alike, in that they know what they can expect - you
get a stable base and simpler portability.

> Plug-in schema language support implies, among other things: setting
schema validation order/precedence/alternatives;
> to provide graceful handling of non-support of schema languages by
implementations, etc. This would probably be a lot of work - I don't know,
it is not something I have ever tried to do.

> On the other hand it would make XForms seriously useful in ways it cannot
so easily be just now. Take Schematron - its built-in support for workflow
type applications should make it an ideal partner for forms based
applications.

> As you say, it would have been better to bring this up a long time ago; in
fact I would be surprised if it hasn't already been talked about a long time
ago.