RE: XForms CR - 8.1.3

From: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:51:06 -0000
To: "'AndrewWatt2001@aol.com'" <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>, www-forms@w3.org, www-forms-editor@w3.org

[Sorry if I shouldn't be 'replying to all' ... but I think this is CR
related.]

Andrew,

> ... can you clarify how <xforms:secret> might be used in a
> non-screen situation?

Perhaps a blind person enters data with their braille keyboard, but has
their browser read it back before submitting. You would hope that whatever
is rendering the form would not read back anything inside 'xf:secret'.

> Secondly, it isn't immediately clear to me how your proposal
> might be implemented in CSS.

I wasn't proposing a solution. I was simply saying that the problem you
raised lay outside of XForms - *possibly* with CSS.

Having said that, I suppose you might be able to do something like:

@media screen {
	xforms|secret.hide=star.gif
}

@media aural {
	xforms|secret.hide=bling.wav
}

I'm no CSS expert, so I hope no-one takes me up on this 'solution'. As I
said, I'm only really saying that this problem lies outside of XForms since
XForms should be device independent.

Regards,

Mark Birbeck