RE: Manipulating Interface Elements

From: TempMarkBirbeck <Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 12:41:20 +0100
To: "'tvraman@almaden.ibm.com'" <tvraman@almaden.ibm.com>
Cc: "'www-forms@w3.org'" <www-forms@w3.org>
Hi Raman,

tvraman@almaden.ibm.com wrote:
> one solution might be to trigger a submit event when he first
> list is opened,
> and target this submit event at a submitInfo element
> that has replace="instance" --
> you could then get back your new/updated instance which would have
> your updated selections in the second list.

The only problem with this is that implementing the spec literally means not
allowing dynamic changes of the contents of an xforms:itemset. Although the
list is initialised at run-time, on my reading of 8.11.3, it cannot then
change.

Of course, it's not that difficult to make your XForms processor change the
items in the list, but as I say, this then breaks the spec.

> If you're not able to convince the server to do the replace="instance"
> described above, you could  do the xml equivalent of the javascript
> solution --namely, 0) create a model/instance pair of each of the sets
> of choices for your secondary list--

I agree that this is heavy-handed, but at least it doesn't break the spec.

Does anyone know why it was deemed that xforms:itemset should not be
changeable after initialisation? Especially since xforms:repeat can change
as nodes in the instance data change.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck