Control heirarchies

From: Jim Wissner <jim@jbrix.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 14:45:44 -0500
To: www-forms@w3.org

Let me try a different question.  It's short, I promise.  I need input if
possible.  A short "yes or no" to "is it valid?" is ok if that is all I

Xforms doesn't seem to impose a specific control layout anymore.  So, for
instance, in an xhtml document you can have controls wherever, and the
model in the head section.  For non-xhtml container docs, could i
legitimately have a table that enumerates a nodeset, and then can be
"zoomed in" on to show more controls?

         <xforms:instance> . . . </xforms:instance>
         <xforms:bind ref="addressBook/person/firstName" required="true"/>
         <xforms:bind ref="addressBook/person/lastName" required="true"/>

     <xforms:input ref="@name">
         <xforms:caption>Address Book Name:</xforms:caption>
     <app:table ref="addressBook/person">
         <app:column name="Name" ref="{lastName}, {firstName}"/>
             <xforms:input ref="firstName" accessKey="f">
                 <xforms:caption>First Name:</xforms:caption>
             <xforms:input ref="lastName" accessKey="l">
                 <xforms:caption>Last Name:</xforms:caption>

Does any of this invalidate xforms conformance?  And if it doesn't, which
from the spec I don't see why it would, then how can such documents be
compatible between "xforms compliant clients"?  What am I missing?

I'm trying to keep my questions short, but I don't know how else to find
the answers, and users of my software are requesting conformance, so any
help with this would be fantastic.