RE: XForms WD 20011207 - Questions

Andrew Watt wrote:

> If there is a substantial level of public interest
> what could the XForms community constructively do to
> make the XForms mailing lists better known. Currently
> on the YahooGroups.com list there are 36 members. I
> assume (rightly or wrongly) that the W3C list may have
> around the same number. So how do we translate "public
> interest" into active participation in the XForms
> process?

Andrew, since the last time we checked this mailing list
(www-forms) has around 500 (five hundred) subscribers.

Active participation is and has been happening. The level
of expertise, dedication and insight amoung the participants
of this mailing list has guided the WG well throughout this
mission to develop the next generation of web forms. The
XForms WG and this mailing list are one successful team.

We shouldn't misunderstand quantity as quality. What we all
came to value is the fact that nearly every mail on this
mailing list is technically solid and represents a real
issue for the WG to consider. Keeping the level of noise
low has helped to establish mutual respect between the WG
and this mailing list, allowing the WG to take every issue
seriously into account regardless who raised it on this list.

Part 1 of this mission, XForms 1.0, is now coming to an end.
Since enough individuals on this mailing list are actively
following (and implementing) this emerging standard, we
can assume that "no news is good news" if traffic is low -
XForms 1.0 has become stable.

This is a good story. Simply keep things as they are and
together we will continue to help the World Wide Web get
its best possible future.

- Sebastian