Re: AW: Dots in input's names interefere with dots in XML element names?

Hi.

I am implementing XForms using a combination of Java and ECMAScript
(JavaScript/JScript).  I am using a Java applet implementation, proxying
through LiveConnect (netscape.javascript.JSObject) to HTML forms.

I am having problems using either '.' or '/' as qualifiers in names.  Neither
of these characters are valid script identifiers. From what I can tell, the
character '.' is interpreted as an object hierarchy separator, and '/' as the
division operator.  The ECMA Script 262-3 specification, section 7.6,
specification states that even if you use unicode escapes in your scripts,
the character codes these evaluate to must also be valid identifier
characters.  It also states that aside from alphanumeric characters, '$' and
'_' may also be used, and that '$' is intended for use in mechanically
generated code.  I am currently using '$', with no problems, to get my code
working.  I have not used XPath, but as I understand it..it probably does not
place script writers in the position of needing to use '/' as an identifier,
but rather just in strings...which is fine.

How does the working group expect scripts to deal with these characters?
Have others not had problems with '/' in scripts?

I would like to vote for '$' (or '_') as a better alternative to '/'.

Much Thanks.

---
Chris Hubick
mailto:chris@hubick.com