RE: XForms 1.1: Why is output/mediatype text content not allowed?

Every other place where we have an element like this with a value attribute, text content is also allowed.  And most of them have attribute versions as well, so it's not because there's a output/@mediatype that we don't specify the behavior of output/mediatype/text().

Here's a comparison table:

submission/method   "The method to be used by the submission can be specified with either the value attribute or the string content of the method element."
submission/header/name "The header entry name may be given by the string content of the name element, or by the result of the value attribute."
submission/header/value "The header entry value may be given by the string content of the value element, or by the result of the value attribute. "
dispatch/name "The name element can provide the event name with either its string content or the value attribute. "
dispatch/targetid "The targetid element can provide an IDREF for the event target with either its string content or the value attribute. "
dispatch/target (deprecated but allowed with same content as dispatch/targetid)
dispatch/delay "The delay element can provide the delay with either its string content or the value attribute. "
setfocus/control " The control element can provide the desired element identifier with either its string content or the value attribute. "
toggle/case "The case element can provide the identity of a case <http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms11/#ui-case>  with either its string content or the value attribute. "
(item|itemset)/value "3. the inline content of the value element (when neither the single node binding nor the value attribute are expressed)."

Only one is different:
output/mediatype   "If the binding attributes are not used, the value attribute must be used instead to specify the desired media type rendition."

We can use a pattern to express this in the schema (and in fact have to a first approximation of correctness) but for output/mediatype, it's incorrect because it's different from the others.

So I'd recommend that we make output/mediatype be the same as the others with regard to #PCDATA content and its processing.

Leigh.
BTW, the value attribute was added so it can use the mediatype specified in the instance, for example if you have a recently uploaded file from the upload control.