Re: XForms 1.1: Why is output/mediatype text content not allowed?

It started as being the same mediatype element as is used with the upload
element, and then the value attribute was added for some reason that I
don't know/recall (so, I hope it wasn't me who asked for it).

The upload mediatype element cannot use a value attribute because the
element is only needed when the author wants to store in data the
mediatype of the uploaded content.  I can't think of a technical reason
not to remove the value attribute from output's mediatype element for
consistency. Note that the output element has a mediatype attribute that
would provide exactly the same encoding as would a mediatype element's
text content (were it allowed by the schema), and it would be easier to
use for encoding a static string than would the child element.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: