Re: ITS Rule file (PR#119)

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:52:24 +0900
To: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
CC: public-i18n-its@w3.org, unl@dreamlab.net, www-forms-editor@w3.org, www-forms-editor-request@w3.org

Many thanks for the feedback, John.

John Boyer wrote:

> Hi Felix,
>
> I am not an ITS expert, but I am pretty sure you didn't get it all
> with that file.
sure. What we think is that this file encompasses the rules which should
be relevant for all XForms documents. The files we proposed are only a
basic ITS definition.

> What about literals in calculate, relevant, required, readonly?
from my understanding, e.g. calculate might contain translatable text in
some cases, but in others not. I did not check for the other markup in
your list above. However, the rules we supplied are for the general case.
> What about content in xforms instance?  This is raw data, not subject
> to translation... necessarily.
>
> What about things like xforms labels, which could express their
> content directly (making translation easy) or which could express
> their content using binding attributes to instance data (making it
> much harder to determine what must be translated).
>
> I'm not being exhaustive here...

I'd propose the following:
- having an appendix with the small rules we proposed
- having in that appendix a paragraph which describes the need for
XForms users to define ITS rules on their own - depending on the cases
you described.

What do you think?

Felix