Re: What does "kanji" mean?

From: MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:52:14 +0900
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: www-forms-editor@w3.org, Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.mag.keio.ac.jp>, MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>

Thanks for your reply.

Your point is that script tokens are merely used as hints for
input methods to choose initial setting or something and thus a precise
definition of kanji is unnecessary.  Makes sense.

> Do you mean you had problems understanding the text? Or do you mean
> that there is no operational definition that unambiguously decides,
> for each Han character, whether it's in this subset or not? I'm
> assuming the later.

> I don't think this needs clarification in the spec, but in case a
> clarification is desired, I propose to change the first sentence
> above as follows:
>  >>>>
> However, this neither means that an input mode has to allow input for all
> the characters in the script or block, nor that an input mode is limited to
> only characters from that specific script, nor that all of the script tokens
> refer to an exactly defined set of characters.
>  >>>>

This change makes me more comfortable.

Let me ask one question.  When Unicode or 10646 introduces some
subrepertoire representing JIS X 0213:2004 and name that subrepertoire,
will XForms add that name as a script token?

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp>