Re: [Moderator Action] Re: 8.1.7 - range Element

Moderator: sent to www-forms@w3.org and www-forms-editor@w3.org
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: AndrewWatt2001@aol.com
  To: jerome.negre@e-xmlmedia.fr ; xforms@yahoogroups.com ; www-forms@w3.org ; www-forms-editor@w3.org
  Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 2:42 PM
  Subject: [Moderator Action] Re: 8.1.7 - range Element

  In a message dated 03/09/2002 13:31:03 GMT Daylight Time, jerome.negre@e-xmlmedia.fr writes:

    > The start and end attributes are stated to be optional.
    >
    > How can a user agent render a range for which it does not know the start
    > bound and the end bound or both?
    >
    > Andrew Watt

    By looking at the facets (minInclusive, maxExclusive) of the datatype.

    Jérôme

  If that's the intended mechanism what's the purpose of an optional pair of "hint" attributes? Can the user agent ignore the "hint"?

  What happens if the two sources of information are inconsistent? Which value takes precedence?

  It seems to me to invite problems in scenarios where a developer/data model person is writing the code for the schema and an interface person is writing the XForms form control markup.

  Andrew Watt