Re: [css3-font] Extension of font-stretch property

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:35:37 -0500
To: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Cc: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, MasaFuji <masa@fuji.email.ne.jp>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, www-font@w3.org
On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 22:31 -0800, Thomas Phinney wrote:

> When I consider the ever-increasing attention paid to China by everyone
> including OS vendors, plus @font-face, Google Font Directory, and emerging
> technologies for streaming CJK fonts to devices (such as whatever it is
> Monotype is now doing in this regard), I don't expect the CJK-web-font
> status quo to remain unchanged for very long.

A missing piece from this puzzle might be the ability to download
individual glyphs on the fly and add them to a font. I suppose one can
get close in JavaScript by having a lots and lots of smaller fonts and
adding a whole font on the fly.

But there's always room for a javascrpt api to fonts later...

Liam