RE: [css3-font] Extension of font-stretch property

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:06:53 -0500
To: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
CC: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, MasaFuji <masa@fuji.email.ne.jp>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
> To me, this suggests that for CJK fonts "the reality for the web"
> is restricted to the fonts currently bundled with operating
> systems, today.

> When I consider the ever-increasing attention paid to China by
> everyone including OS vendors, plus @font-face, Google Font
> Directory, and emerging technologies for streaming CJK fonts
> to devices (such as whatever it is Monotype is now doing in
> this regard), I don't expect the CJK-web-font status quo to
> remain unchanged for very long.

It's not only "the reality for the web". In printing industry, Asians have been using asymmetric scaling for a long time, and doing so were considered as commercial quality.

Sometimes it's used for Han glyphs, but it's also used to combine fonts. When author wants to use a font for CJK characters and another font for Latin characters, designers sometimes want to adjust their balance by asymmetric scaling only one of them.

So I suppose the needs will exist even after far more CJK fonts are available. We'd need to think about how to get a good quality asymmetric scaling on screen.

Regards,
Koji