Re: SVG Fonts inside of OpenType fonts? [Cross-post from www-font@w3.org]

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:01:30 -0700 (PDT)
To: Lars Hellström <Lars.Hellstrom@residenset.net>
Cc: www-font@w3.org

Lars Hellström wrote:

> 2. It would conversely be interesting to see an XML encoding for the
> information in SFNT tables (I'm primarily thinking GPOS, GSUB, and
> friends, as each table has to be specified separately). The last time
> I checked [oh dear, that is close to two years ago!], there was only
> one tool around for doing such conversions, and its XML format was
> completely undocumented.

I agree, this actually seems much more enticing than encouraging folks
to spend more time and effort extending/enhancing SVG fonts.  Robert
O'Callahan wrote up a wiki page describing something similar.  Is TTX
the tool you're talking about?

  https://wiki.mozilla.org/SVGOpenTypeFonts

One thing I think it's important to point out is that are two basic
flavors of SVG fonts.  The first is the SVG 1.2 Tiny flavor, which only
allows glyphs defined via paths.  This is the flavor of ACID3
fame/infamy.  The "full" version of SVG fonts supports complex graphics
but is poorly conceived, it allows *any* sort of content in a glyph
(e.g. <video>, embedded HTML docs via <foreignobject>).  Desktop
browsers don't implement the "full" version.

John Daggett